Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Thing Update

So: I cut off the broken edge of the plexiglass, so now I have a (roughly) 45.5" x 48" piece of plexiglass. (My resentment over that whole event is fading, but still present.) And now the question is: How do you go about creating a giant , fairly accurate, reproduction of the page from the comic? Simon suggested using a Smartcart from school and projecting the image up onto a giant piece of paper, and then sketching it out. That would work if I had good drafting skills (which I don't) and had the patience to do a good job (which I don't). So I xeroxed several copies of the page, cut one of the xeroxed sheets into small (about 1.5" x 1.5") pieces, and then enlarged each one 400%. Here are the pieces:

I did the math and still the enlargements were too big, so I tried again, this time with only a 375% enlargement. Here are those pieces:

Now I will cut off the excess, tape them together, place them under the plexiglass and BEGIN! But before I can do that I have to make a run to Delphi Glass (EEE! Everyone I know who has been there says it is UNBELIEVABLE--the selection, the options, the hugeness of it all.) in Lansing sometime this week. The comic uses only 8 colors but I want to make sure (1) that I have enough of each color to finish the whole thing (like yarn, glass sheets have a very specific color run and a batch using exactly the same chemicals but made at another time won't be exactly the same) and (2) that I get colors that really POP. What is the point of doing a comic book page in dull colors?

No comments: