Monday, September 22, 2008

Meanwhile, The Thing

Yee haw! The package (from U.S. Plastics) arrived, along with a complementary catalog of plastic devices, gadgets and containers all in various plasticated colors. I had no idea one could buy plastic buckets in so many shapes, sizes and colors. (It also contained a small religious pamphlet reassuring me that, if I were to give my life over to Christ right now, I could die in peace, knowing that I will soon be living as Jesus' wife. Move over Simon, you've got competition!)

Here it is, all ready to be turned into a replication of an original Jack Kirby version of The Thing. (No, the plastic isn't blue; it is clear. It comes coated with a thin sheet to prevent it from getting scratched.)

What's this? I didn't order a nearly $100 sheet of plexiglass with a busted out corner. But apparently that is what I got. Sigh. Yes, the comic page isn't exactly square and so this can be cut down to match the exact proportions of the page. But that isn't what I had in mind for the start of this project. Argh. Why do I get the feeling this is the first--and far from the last-- moment of disappointment I will have with this Thing?


No comments: