Monday, October 20, 2008

Rainy Days and Mondays

It's rainy today. And it's a Monday. Blegh. Nonetheless, I bravely trudge on with my Hulk, slowly working my way across his giant green muscles. His hands were not as difficult as I imagined they would be. I tried to keep the glass piece lines following the lines of the arms, hands and fingers. So, in theory, when this is grouted, the grout lines will take the viewer's eye from the central part of the figure, right to the end of the extended arms, therefore giving the image movement and perpetual flow. We'll see. The hardest part of designing a mosaic is keeping in mind that the real art of it is not fitting the tiny pieces into any particular space, or even choosing the colors, but thinking about what it is going to look like once the grout is in place and the dominating image isn't anything make of glass, but is made of the millions of fractured cement lines. (And what color to use for the grout? I can't even think about that yet.)
Here are the feet thus far with a bit of the pants done. These were not fun. I thought they would be, but they weren't. In general, the Hulk is annoying me and I will be very, very glad when I am done. Which reminds me, I haven't gotten that purple glass in the mail yet. If you look long and hard at this poor guy's left leg, it looks like it has been broken in half just below the knee. I didn't notice it when I was looking at the comic page, but now that it is enlarged to almost 6 inches across, it is hard to ignore. In fact, I get quite nauseous if I look at it too much. I thought about changing it, to make it the way it should have been drawn, but that somehow seems sacriligious...or something.

That little red spot just below the image is blood I dripped after I cut myself on the glass. I do actually forget most the time that I am working with glass and that I am supposed to be a bit more careful. This time, I put my elbow on top of the plexiglass while I leaned up and across it to reach the running pliers. Yes, there were thousands of shards of glass on the plexiglass but, really, who would have thought they would all grind into my elbow just because I put all my weight on them? I'd like to think I learned a lesson of some sort, but I am sure I haven't. (Do I wear the safety goggles I am supposed to be wearing? Of course not.)

No comments: