Wednesday, November 12, 2008

It Is Finished (Almost)

Tonight (last night, really) is the night. Here is the Rose Thing (I really should think of a name for it--"Still Life In Front of Blobby Swirls and Bathroom Tile" doesn't really sound nice) complete, but not yet grouted. It's tempting to not grout, since it's always a mystery what the grout will do to change the picture but I had scribbled and sketched so much on the surface board, that I could see millions of lines (pencil and pen as well as purple, blue, red and green colored pencil) between the pieces. It had to be done.

And here, almost three hours later, is the piece grouted:

Smooshing the grout into the cracks is really satisfying but wiping ten thousand pieces clean is not. And it isn't really clean yet, anyway. I need to let it set for a few days, let the grout really cure, and then take a damp cloth and really get the glass clean. They should be as shiny as before I grouted which, you can see by comparing the two pictures, they aren't. So it will really be done in about a week...but then I have to seal it....So it will really be done in about two weeks. So I started this in June--six months ago. Spending six months of one's life (how many hours?) seems about right for creating one wall hanging, doesn't it? And the big question is: Where am I going to hang it? (But the even bigger, and more interesting question is: What next?)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie, I've been looking at all your new creations they're awesome, nice work!!! Miss ya....Steph