Thursday, February 19, 2009

Glassy Eyed

The lack of updates is not because I have not been working on this. Here is a photo of The Thing from about two weeks ago. Filling in the orange spaces is surprisingly quick work. It's also enormously satisfying to give the body some size and heft. I switched back and forth between the speech bubble and The Thing. Since the glass pieces for the letters, bubble filling and outlining are so very, very small, I couldn't work on too much at a time without bumping and shifting all the pieces. So I would do a few letters then, while they were drying, work on a few more orange patches, and back and forth.
Here is where I am as of right now. Since I am officially on winter break (spring break for the rest of the world, 10 degrees F here in Flint makes it winter break here) I hope to really get to this and completely finish The Thing by the end of February.
Here is the speech bubble. This was far more tedious than I expected, and I was expecting it to be pretty grim. One the one hand, working with black and while tiles was very pleasant because it looked so clean and stark. It reminded me of the bathrooms I once saw in the Hot Springs, AR health spas from the 19th century--medicinal yet luxurious. Makes me want to toss around a giant leather medicine ball. One the other, it was very annoying because it's so important to make sure the letters really look like letters, can be easily read, and also accurately protray the three kinds of font so as to capture the tone of the speech.

No comments: